Friday, April 01, 2005

Spring Spilling Over at the Mendocino Coast

Thursday had dawned incredibly beautiful on our hill, and gazing toward the sea, it looked as though it would be clear. So, Steve and I drove to coast yesterday. We had a delightful lunch over looking Noyo Harbor at Sharons by the Sea The last time we were there in November the construction of the new bridge still dominated the seascape. It was a much more serene yesterday.

While shopping at Racines in Fort Bragg, a cute little art and office supply store, a woman came up to me and asked if I am an artist. I told her that I am a high school art teacher. She asked what would be a good book for someone that didn’t know how to draw, but wanted to learn how. I suggested one of my old favorites, Betty Edwards, the New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

Later, she thanked me for finding it for her. As I was browsing I found Betty Edward’s Color. Wow! It is one of the best books on color that I have ever seen! I am impressed with how she takes the artist/student from black and white to color.


After going shopping at a couple of great local stores in Fort Bragg, we cruised on over to the Mendocino Botanical Gardens, the only public garden that borders the ocean in the United States. Since we are members, we were able to get in free, and to buy a couple of rhododendrons at a 20% discount. We took our cameras, and went for a walk. The beauty was so captivating that we shot more pictures than we walked. Oh well, I guess I better get busy finishing digging that garden bed that I didn’t finish yesterday.

We were also hoping to see a few whales but got distracted by Spring in the gardens. There were zillions of fabulous rhododendron blooms sparkling with new life. It was an absolute treat for our senses! Last time we went in November the mushrooms were on display.





No comments: