Saturday, April 23, 2005

April Showers


Yesterday evening during dinner, my husband, Steve, and I thought we heard raindrops on our four-foot diameter plexiglass bubble in the yurt. We stopped talking to listen more closely for droplets. The pitter patter grew steadily. As we looked out the window, the sun dropped below the heavy cloud bank to the west.

Running outside with my digital camera, I snapped pictures of the incredible scene that unfolded before my eyes. As the rain picked up, I thought it best to protect the camera. Hurrying inside, I grabbed an umbrella and scurried out to the rapidly changing light show. I balanced the umbrella on my head to protect the delicate camera, as well as myself, from getting drenched. Thirteen months ago, we witnessed a similar storm in which the sun set below the cloud bank, bathing us in a stunning yellow-gold light as the rain drifted in sheets from the east.

No comments: