Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Lessons from Weeding


I love it that Daylight Savings Time has sprung upon us! It enabled me to get home from work and play in the garden for two hours today, yesterday and the day before. Mostly on my knees, I was able to weed out a cubic yard of nettles. Since the ground still has some moisture, they come out of the ground much easier now than when the ground dries out.

Sometimes it seems overwhelming when I look and see what appear to be hundreds and hundreds of nettles. It seems like an impossible task. With thick gloves, kneepads and my spading fork I am able to lift them out of the ground. Then I put them in a compost pile. Later, after the nettles turn into compost, they will be nurturing my garden with the nutrients their deep roots had pulled from the earth.

No comments: