Friday, April 08, 2005

Good Omen or Invasive Species


I saw a herd of white deer on the way to work yesterday morning, The first time I saw a white deer was probably thirty years ago I wasn’t sure what it was. Across the meadow, on the hillside, I saw something that was bright white. It didn’t move for what seemed like hours. At first, I thought it was a sheep, but it was so bright. Finally, I looked through binoculars and it was sitting on the ground. It was huge! It was much larger than our local deer.

Later, I heard stories about William Randolph Hearst giving a pair of white deer to the man who owned the horse Sea Biscuit back in the thirties or forties. They ended up getting loose and they reproduced like crazy. Usually when I see white deer, I think of it is a good omen. However, when they rip out my flowers and even eat plants that are supposedly deer tolerant from my yard, then I have a problem with them being here.

No comments: