Saturday, April 30, 2005

Buddha Bench Tales


This morning, after drinking one of my favorite kefir drinks, I walked around looking for pictures to take. There were many wild flowers shouting that spring is here! I took the shot you’re looking at here about 100 yards west of our house. I got the bench around fifteen years ago at a garage sale outside of Hopland that some Hare Krishnas were conducting. It is massive, built of solid redwood. Supposedly their head guru used to sit on it. At least it’s a good story. As I’ve sat on it meditating over the years, I’ve often wondered what kind of stories it could tell. That is, of course, if that bench could. Sometimes, when the wind is whistling through the trees, I swear it’s trying to tell me something. Like the time when a small group of large women (as opposed to a large group of small women) was sitting on it, and it split in half (that still cracks me up). Another time, a friend and I were lying naked on it, holding very still, when a turkey vulture flew over so low it nearly slammed into the top of the bench. It was checking to see if we were lunch. At least it could dream….

No comments: