Thursday, May 05, 2005

A Pleasant Surprise


Our rainy season normally runs form about October 15 to April 15. May rains, especially significant ones, have been rare the past few years. In drought years, which are common in Northern California, we may not get much rain after February. Here we are at the beginning of May and we got over an inch of rain yesterday. I tried taking some digital photos from inside because I didn’t want to get my camera wet. However, I wasn’t satisfied with shooting through our winter-weary windows. So, I stepped outside and took this picture of the glistening moss on two bay trees next to the entrance of our yurt. The moss looks pretty happy compared to just a few days earlier, when it looked all shriveled and dry and covered with dust. Yesterday afternoon, the hills were an electric green vibrant with life after a good soaking. Purple vetch is marching over our hills, blanketing the wet earth in heavenly shades of spring.

No comments: