Sunday, May 01, 2005

Belly Casting


When my dear friend Kristin asked me if I knew anything about belly casts, I told her that I had taught students how to create masks out of plaster of Paris strips. I thought that it shouldn’t be much different − just a (much) larger surface. I asked her if she would like me to give her the gift of a belly cast. So instead of going out and buying her a ready-made gift, I was able to give her a replica of her extremely pregnant torso.

After researching on the Net, I found that it is best for the woman to be upright instead of lying back. However, some women have fainted when they tried having a cast made when they were standing. Kristen was able to sit upright while sitting on her exercise ball chair. I’m sure it helped that she has continued doing yoga all through her pregnancy. In a few short months, she will have a baby in her arms, her slim figure back again, and a lasting memoir from her pregnancy (of course, her baby will be another lasting memoir…).

No comments: