Monday, March 21, 2005

My Kind of Worship

Tonight, the wind is howling as rain lashes the skylight. My husband measured over five inches of rain in the last few days. Even though it poured yesterday I felt the need to get outside. I used a hoe to open up some water bars to help drain the rain off our dirt driveway so it wouldn’t wash so much of the soil away and leave a washboard to drive on.

I also put cow manure on some of the fruit trees my husband and I pruned last month. I did this in the rain, because I wanted to feed those trees, before the rains stop. Well, if you really knew me, you’d know I love being in nature, and being outside in a rainstorm is a form of worship for me. Here in the Coastal Range of Northern California, in Mendocino county, where I have lived for over thirty years, there are two seasons—Wet and Dry. I wasn’t quite sure if the wet season was ending, but thankfully it is storming again. The earth will stay green at least a few weeks longer.

After two hours of working in the rain, my woolen outer clothes had finally soaked through and my core temperature took a dive, and it was time to go inside to the welcoming warmth of the wood stove.

No comments: