Monday, November 21, 2005

My Favorite Cranberry Dish


One of my greatest joys is preparing fermented foods. I enjoy making kefir, sauerkraut, kim chi, and other fermented dishes. Last holiday season I created Cranberry Chutney and I continue to make it whenever I can get my hands on organic cranberries. Recently I found a group that is as crazy about fermenting as I am. You can reach them at Microbial_Nutrition@yahoogroups.com.


SkyWatcher’s Cranberry Chutney

3 c. cranberries (organic preferred--regular are grown with lots of pesticides)
1/2 c. nuts (pecans are my favorite)
1/2 c. rapadura sugar (if you can't get it use regular sugar)
2 t. sea salt
1/4 c. whey (drained from kefir or yogurt)
1/2 c. prune juice
1 t. cinnamon (or 2 drops of cinnamon essential oil)
1/2 t. cloves (or 1 drop of clove essential oil)
Juice from one orange (or 2 drops orange essential oil)
Juice from half a lemon (or 1 drop of lemon essential oil)
I lightly pulse the above ingredients in my food processor. I like it
chunky.
Stir in 1/2 c. raisins (that have been soaked)

Let ferment for 48 hours--then refrigerate. The biggest problem with this is that it gets eaten so fast that I have to make more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I should just let you know that I've made this for the last 3 Thanksgivings and we love it! Thanks so much.