Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Cool Water Sanctuary

Yesterday was hot, though a bit cooler than the last few days. The ocean-tinged breeze caressed my bare skin as I painted on silk in the shade of the firs in our front yard. Yet, the sun burned across the sky I felt my internal temperature rise. Time to cool off.

The best idea that I could come up with was to submerge myself in a large body of water. Our pond is within a five minute walk from the house. I wanted to share the experience of being in the water with someone who would appreciate it as much as I do. Then I remembered a friend, Mary, who in the area visiting, and, on a whim called her. She was delighted with the idea of cooling off in our pond, and drove right over.

The walk to the pond was quite easy until we got to the part of path that had not been weed-wacked this season. To my surprise, the grass waved lazily over our heads. It was like being in a giant maze. I felt like a kid breaking a trail as we bushwhacked our way to the other end of the pond where it was easiest to wade into the alluring water. The walk was worth it. Mary and I submerged in the shallow end of the lake and cooled off as we caught up on the last thirty years of our lives.

No comments: